Notre-dame du haut, better known as Ronchamp Chapel, is a Roman Catholic pilgrimage church located in Ronchamp, France. It was designed by the architect Le Corbusier and built in 1955. The chapel is situated at the top of a hill enjoying panoramic views of the distant Jura Mountains. The approach to the site winds up the hill from the south, but does not permit a view of the building until the end of the progression, when it is presented as a closed wall-like form resembling a French nun's hat. Only upon circumnavigating and entering the chapel from the north is the wall revealed as a light admitting element that defines the sacred space within.